Skip to Main Content

Database Guides : New and Updated Resources

Overview of new or updated library electronic resources

International Bibliography of Art (IBA) - Overview

ProQuest's International Bibliography of Art covers research publications on European / Western Art published from 2008 to the present.  It indexes at least 500 core journals, and has very selective coverage of monographs, essay collections, conference proceedings and exhibition catalogues. About 40% of the entries will be for English language publications, with the remaining 60% covering primarily German, French, Italian and Spanish publications.

Search Tips
  • Use the Peer reviewed limiter alone to search for all scholarly/research reviewed material in the database. 
  • In this field, Trade Journals and even Magazines can also have credible and useful information.
  • Although ProQuest mentions eventually adding exhibition catalogs, very few have been added as of 2023.
  • Use the Find It button to access Stan State Library articles publications.  Find It:
    • Links to the full-text/PDF of articles if available via Stan State.
    • Links to the holdings (shelving location and call number) if an item is shelved in the University Library.
    • Links to a Get It request form (you may need to sign in first) allowing you to request items not owned by the library.
IBA Subject coverage:
  • European art since late antiquity
  • American art since the colonial period
  • Global art since 1945
  • Fine art in all media
  • Decorative arts and antiques
  • Museum studies and conservation
  • Archaeology and material culture
  • Folk art
  • Architectural history

Relationship to the Bibliography of the History of Art (BHA)

The IBA follows the editorial practices of and is successor to the  Bibliography of the History of Art (BHA). The database includes records created by the Getty Research Institute in 2008-09, with new records created by ProQuest using the same thesaurus and authority files, covering 2010 - present.

For 1975 to 2007, use the Getty's BHA backfile instead:

Electronic Resource Information

Platform: ProQuest

Electronic Resource Type: Abstract & Indexing Database

Subscription source: Complimentary with CSU Stanislaus ProQuest Subscriptions

Vendor/publisher guide: ProQuest LibGuide for the International Bibliography of Art

Title list: ProQuest list of titles indexed in the IBA (title list)

Quick Links